We design and manufacture two-phase and three-phase separators in both horizontal and vertical configurations. The following describes the operation principle of a 3-phase horizontal separator, the most popular configuration among our customers:
How Sovonex™ Phase Test Separators Work
Production fluid enters the separator and hits an inlet diverter resulting in an initial separation of liquid and gas. The gas leaves the separator at the top of the vessel after going through a demister to remove any remaining liquid.
The liquid phase is further separated into oil and water by gravity.
Water and oil are withdrawn at the bottom of the separator at intervals by means of separate valves. Each valve is connected to a level controller that maintains a constant oil-water interface.
Important parts of Sovonex™ well test separators include:
- Gas orifice, oil, and water meters to accurately measure each phase rate
- Skid mounted separator unit (optional) for easy installation and transportation
- Safety relief valves to ensure drill site safety.
- Wave breakers to reduce wave propagation in horizontal vessels
- Foam breaker baffle plates that limit foaming at the gas/liquid interface
- Vortex breakers at the water and oil outlets to avoid vortexes when opening the valve and lowering the risk of gas being drawn into the liquid phase.
- Mist extractor to prevent liquid carryover into the gas outlet.
How to Select the Right Separator Type
Selection of a separator type generally depends on the gas handling requirements and the available space. Based on these factors, horizontal and vertical 3-phase test separators each offer the following main advantages:
Horizontal Separator Advantages
- Better suited for handling large volumes of gas
- Better phase separation capability
- Can be skid-mounted easily
Vertical Separator Advantages
- Better liquid surge capacity
- Less prone to solids plugging
- Requires less space
Designed to Your Special Requirements
You don’t need to select a separator type yourself or worry about the operation parameters. We will take care of that. All you have to do is fill out a process fluid questionnaire in order for us to individually design your well test separator.
This tailor-made design process guarantees a maximum efficient separation of well fluids.